Thursday, September 3, 2009

Suzy Homemaker

I am in the fall baking mood. I think I will have to run to Walmart to pick up some freezable containers and possible canning supplies....

Last night I made my FIRST apple pie! It looked fantastic and tasted wonderful! I was always scared of pies. They seem so difficult but I found a recipe in the Purity cookbook, substituted whole wheat flour for white flour , and it took no time at all. I think the most time consuming thing was peeling and coring the apples. I think next time I will use less sugar. It was a little to sweet for my liking. I even did an egg wash for the crust and marked it with a "T".

I would like to make some pepper jelly, or corn relish... I am going to look up some recipes and see if I can find anything that wouldn't be too hard to make.

Eventually I would love to make homemade pickles, canned beets, and/or pickled asparagus. If my kitchen was bigger I think it would be easier to do it but at the same time I imagine someone probably had used that kitchen for canning over the 60 years the house has been there.

I should get going on doing this while I have the excitement to do it! My mother-in-law still does a ton of canning and preserving. Also my sister-in-law has a huge garden of many types of vegetables that she is selling in baskets. If only I lived in Winfield I could get a yummy basket as well :) (If there is anyone you know that lives in the Winfield and surrounding areas that loves homegrown vegetables weekly, let me know and I will get you a number/email you can ask the price for next year)

Realize that if you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo.

No comments:

Post a Comment