Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas has come and gone

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

It was a pretty busy weekend. I worked till noon on Christmas Eve (Darren got the whole day off). We finished packing, loaded the car, dropped a friend off at the bus station and headed to the Hat. We had fondue that night at Mom and Dad's. I remember it being so much better. I guess if the oil would have heated up faster it would have been better, and since the oil wasn't always hot enough the food was more oily than needed. Next time, I think we should have a cheese pot, oil pot(electric fondue), and a chocolate pot. Also Mom had gotten a lot of M&M frozen foods. We use to have fresh cubed beef, mushrooms, crab, meatballs. If we had different pots then we could have more fruits and veggies on the table, and be able to dip them. But it was FUN time :)

Traditionally we usually open presents Christmas Eve midnight but we opened them right after supper. Payton is 18 months and needed to go to bed. Darren loved his Fiddler on the Roof tickets, not that I was too worried. He gave me a beautiful new purse, a couple of DS games and metal mixing bowls. We also received a dehydrator and a steamer.

Mom made Turkey on Christmas Day. I have been the appointed turkey carver. Good thing we bought mom a new knife for Christmas. The bird carved beautifully! We had all our traditional foods: Lefsa(homemade), Yams with marshmallows, Creamed corn, Mashed potatoes, Gravy, red cabbage(Grandma Skanderup sent over) and of course Cranberries (from scratch).

For dessert, we had rice pudding and I had made two pies (pumpkin and rhubarb cream). I should have gained weight with all I ate but didn't.

We played Ticket to Ride (I won, hehehe) and played a bunch of group games on the Wii. (Oh, Darren, Payton and I had a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, it was luxury!)

On Boxing day we went over to mom and dad's (Dad's Birthday) and relaxed for a bit. Byron, Andrea and Dad went out for a bit to go snowmobiling and quading. Darren and I don't have the proper winter wear but I probably would have gone out if we were on the farm and I could come back into the house when I got cold, they had to drive to Andrea's parents acreage. Darren, Mom and I played some Wii. For supper we headed over to Jolene and Jason's. My sister makes the BEST homemade cheese scalloped potatoes! We played a few games and watched a little hockey.

On Sunday we went to church, the pastor's sermon was very interesting. I did have a 2 year old admirer peaking around the pew at me ;). Darren didn't seem to jealous though. After church we headed over to Grandma & Pa Skanderup's for lunch (Grandma ordered Chinese food). Uncle Rob, Auntie Karen and Sarah travelled from Delta to spend the week. It was great to be able to see them!

We played some games, FACES, Ticket to Ride and croquanal (I'm not sure how you spell it). It was nice to see all Grandma& Pa's kids together. Grandpa is looking okay. He is plugged into to oxygen tanks at home but isn't in any pain. Just before Christmas the doctor found the cancer has spread to his liphnoids. There is a chemo treatment he is going to try in January. The doctor thinks that Grandpa won't die from cancer but from a heart ache... Grandma is looking run down, I'm glad Auntie Karena and Auntie Mary Ann are there for the week. It will help Grandma get some well needed rest.

On Monday we tidied Grandma's house and went to do a little shopping. We decided to go see Sherlock Holmes at 1:10pm. It was a pretty good movie. I would recommend it!

We headed home that night, it was nice to be back in my own bed. This week we work two and half days and then we are heading to Calgary for New Years Eve at Ryan, Eric and Nat's. Not to sure what we are doing for the rest of the weekend....

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment